Whether it’s time, clean clothes, or what’s left in our fridge, most of us find ourselves making the most of what we have. In the case of pig ‘n’ taters, it means we made a huge ham – more than we cared to eat by itself for several meals – so we made the most of it by creating this delicious ham and potato soup!
It’s surprisingly easy, takes no time at all to make, tastes absolutely delicious, and as always on Charley’s Circus, it’s totally gluten and dairy free!
* 6 cups russet potatoes – approx 4 large (chopped medium)
* 2 cups cooked ham (chopped medium)
* 1/2 cup celery (diced)
* 1/2 onion (diced)
* 3 garlic cloves (minced)
* 6 cups chicken broth
* 6 TBSP coconut oil
* 1/2 cup GF flour
* 2 cups coconut milk
* Salt and pepper to taste
* In a large pot, add potatoes, ham, celery, onions, garlic, and chicken broth.
* Bring to a low boil.
* Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
* Melt coconut oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
* Whisk in flour.
* Stir constantly until flour is golden-colored, approx 1 minute.
* Slowly add coconut milk and continue to stir so no lumps form (a spatula may be helpful here as sometimes the roux can get stuck inside the whisk).
* Cook until roux is thick, approx 5 minutes.
* Add roux to soup and stir thoroughly.
* Add salt and pepper to taste.